Sign in to follow this  
Alexthegreat

Marriott Beach resort Phuket Villas timeshare

Has anyone stayed in these? am probably going there next month but would wanna hear first if someone stayed there?

pros and cons?

Thanks

Edited by Alexthegreat

If you're just going to stay at the resort it's fine I guess. Food isn't great though compared to what you can get outside. Problem with the Mariott is that it's quite far from Patong.

I would rather stay at a resort on Patong, however if you're getting the deal from Mariott where you have to attend a conference and get the room for free then it's worth it.

they give you a room for free?

I got roped into their sales pitch and only got free transfer from the airport and a free massage. That was a year and a half ago though...

1 minute ago, elisa91 said:

they give you a room for free?

I got roped into their sales pitch and only got free transfer from the airport and a free massage. That was a year and a half ago though...

erh we are invited by friends who have it as a time share, so yes its free, and as its equipped with a full kitchen I am not worried at all about the food provided there is some sort of market nearby.

No market nearby I don't think but you can always get a moped to nip to the shops on... around that lagoon area it's overpriced and frankly quite far away from most things unless you have transport

Nothing a US$20 bill can't fix. If it doesn't then you land in jail for bribery too.

There is feck all around there. You can go to the rip off shop or restaurants at the Marriott Hotel next door or take a 20 minute taxi (HK$140) or tuk tuk (cheaper but messes up your hair, if any) to Patong. Maybe, as suggested, hiring a jeep is more cost effective.

I normally carry a HK international License when driving anywhere outside Europe/HKG.

Having said that, I've never been asked for it when renting in Thailand. The local rental companies normally accept a European license quite happily (in my experience). Make sure you carry copies of all driving/ID documents, and leave the originals in a safe place such as hotel safe etc.

More importantly, make sure that the insurance* on rental cars in Phuket is fully comprehensive and covered by an established agency.

*: Most/all insurance coverage on rental cars in Thailand do not cover any damage to the underside of the vehicle, so don't be tempted to go off-roading with your little jeep...